- Up to 7 partitions per AZ
- Can span across multiple AZs in the same region
- Up to 100s of EC2 instances
- The instances in a partition do not share racks with the instances in the other partitions
- A partition failure can affect manyEC2 but won’t affect other partitions
- EC2 instances get access to the partition information as metadata
AWS Definition: Partition – spreads your instances across logical partitions such that groups of instances in one partition do not share the underlying hardware with groups of instances in different partitions. This strategy is typically used by large distributed and replicated workloads, such as Hadoop, Cassandra, and Kafka.